[Bigjob-users] SAGA BigJob on XSEDE

Shantenu Jha sjha at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Oct 31 21:54:16 CDT 2011

Sorry for the cross posting, but BigJob users may be interested in the
following talk held as part of the NSF XSEDE's ECSS Symposium

SUPPORTING DISTRIBUTED AND LOOSELY COUPLED PARALLEL MOLECULAR SIMULATIONS
USING SAGA

PRESENTERS: YAAKOUB EL KHARMA (TACC), MATT MCKENZIE (NICS)

PI: RONALD LEVY (RUTGERS)

This ECSS project is supporting an intense effort to understand important
aspects of the physics of protein-ligand recognition by multidimensional
replica exchange (RE) computer simulations. These are compute intensive
calculations which are currently not well supported on XSEDE because they
require both large numbers (10^3-10^4) of loosely coupled replicas and
long simulation times (days to weeks). Our effort is focused resolving
architectural and scalability issues associated with these large
scale/high-throughput simulations. The framework we are using is the SAGA
framework (Simple API for Grid Applications) and associated pilot job
implementation: BigJob. The technical difficulties involved include job
coordination across multiple resources, file and data movement, dynamic
coupling of replicas and dynamic scheduling of resources. We will present
the progress in implementing workflow managers, system monitors and data
exchange mechanisms.

Coordinates:
Tuesday 01 Nov 2011

1pm Eastern/12pm Central/10am Pacific
Dial-In: 866-939-8416, International: 678-302-3534
Passcode: 4906909#

Web Conference: http://www.atconference.com/web-conferencing/login.php
Web Conference Passcode: 4906909