[Bigjob-users] Reg: An issue while running a test Bigjob

Andre Luckow aluckow at cct.lsu.edu
Sun Nov 27 02:53:13 CST 2011

Hi Ole,

> I don't see how http://faust.cct.lsu.edu/trac/bigjob/wiki/ce would help in
> this case. Frankly, I don't understand the "fix" at all. There's no
> explanatio. Also, please note the subtile difference between Muralidhar's
> problem:
> Unable to establish connection to database_connection: dbname='advertdb'
> host='localhost' password='<password>' port='5432' user='<username>'
> and the one in the FAQ section:
> Unable to establish connection to database_connection: dbname='advertdb'
> host='advert.cct.lsu.edu' password='<password>'
> port='8080' user='<username>'

I think the core of the problem is clear and treated correctly by the
FAQ: BJ cannot find an Advert host to connect to. We can't cover any
possible Advert Adaptor configuration (with all possible  configs).
Btw, the SAGA homepage does not have any description on Advert adaptor
configurations, the .ini file magic and related issues.

@Pradeep: Can we include the Commons Error on the FAQ page, please?
Otherwise it is a bit difficult to find.

> IMHO the role of the advert service is not made very clear in the BigJob
> documentation and could easily become a stumbling block for the casual
> BigJob user without any SAGA experience. In general, I think that this needs
> to be addressed one way (replacing advert with something else) or the other
> (make it more transparent to the user) in order to make BigJob more
> user-friendly. I think the 'legendary' HECToR project made the same
> suggestion a while ago ;-)

I think the Advert requirement is clear: there is a big picture
showing the Advert Service on page 1. Also, it is mentioned as
explicit requirement.

I think the CSA installation should include the SQLITE Advert Adaptor.
This would ensure that BJ would run out of the box locally (which is
fine for development purposes). Otherwise, we always depend on some
form of configuration or an external running service (either the
Advert PostgreSQL or Redis). There is a test script that is installed
with the package, which uses the local adaptors, which then should
work and can simply be used for testing.

@AndreM: Could we include the SQLITE adaptor in the CSA installation, please?

Thanks,
Andre