[Bigjob-users] Reg: An issue while running a test Bigjob

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Sun Nov 27 11:37:36 CST 2011

Hi AndreL,

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Andre Luckow <aluckow at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Ole,
>
>> I don't see how http://faust.cct.lsu.edu/trac/bigjob/wiki/ce would help in
>> this case. Frankly, I don't understand the "fix" at all. There's no
>> explanatio. Also, please note the subtile difference between Muralidhar's
>> problem:
>> Unable to establish connection to database_connection: dbname='advertdb'
>> host='localhost' password='<password>' port='5432' user='<username>'
>> and the one in the FAQ section:
>> Unable to establish connection to database_connection: dbname='advertdb'
>> host='advert.cct.lsu.edu' password='<password>'
>> port='8080' user='<username>'
>
> I think the core of the problem is clear and treated correctly by the
> FAQ: BJ cannot find an Advert host to connect to. We can't cover any
> possible Advert Adaptor configuration (with all possible  configs).
> Btw, the SAGA homepage does not have any description on Advert adaptor
> configurations, the .ini file magic and related issues.
>
> @Pradeep: Can we include the Commons Error on the FAQ page, please?
> Otherwise it is a bit difficult to find.
>
>> IMHO the role of the advert service is not made very clear in the BigJob
>> documentation and could easily become a stumbling block for the casual
>> BigJob user without any SAGA experience. In general, I think that this needs
>> to be addressed one way (replacing advert with something else) or the other
>> (make it more transparent to the user) in order to make BigJob more
>> user-friendly. I think the 'legendary' HECToR project made the same
>> suggestion a while ago ;-)
>
> I think the Advert requirement is clear: there is a big picture
> showing the Advert Service on page 1. Also, it is mentioned as
> explicit requirement.
>
> I think the CSA installation should include the SQLITE Advert Adaptor.
> This would ensure that BJ would run out of the box locally (which is
> fine for development purposes). Otherwise, we always depend on some
> form of configuration or an external running service (either the
> Advert PostgreSQL or Redis). There is a test script that is installed
> with the package, which uses the local adaptors, which then should
> work and can simply be used for testing.
>
> @AndreM: Could we include the SQLITE adaptor in the CSA installation, please?

I am not sure I understand the problem, really - sqlite3 is installed for all
CSA installations.  Below for india at fg:

[merzky at i136 ~]$ source env_csa.sh
[merzky at i136 ~]$ cd $CSA_LOCATION
[merzky at i136 SAGA]$ eval `grep export README.saga-1.6.gcc-4.1.2.india `
[merzky at i136 SAGA]$ $SAGA_LOCATION/bin/saga-advert add_entry
advert://localhost/test?dbtype=sqlite3
[merzky at i136 SAGA]$ $SAGA_LOCATION/bin/saga-advert list_directory
advert://localhost/?dbtype=sqlite3
  test

Is there anything specific which does not work?

Best, Andre.

--
Nothing is ever easy...